Our No-Fee Promise: You Don’t Pay Unless We Win

California Motorcycle Property Damage Claims

Jul 28, 2017 | Motorcycle Accidents

Motorcycle Property Damage Claim

It is important that a motorcyclists documents and obtains photographs of all damage sustained to the motorcycle including dents, scrapes, bent wheels, and broken shocks. Taking photographs and even videos of the property damages your bike sustained following an accident help provide visual evidence to insurance adjusters when writing your demands and even evidence if the claim is filed litigation. Complete documentation is the best way to help ensure full recovery of repair or replacement costs.

What Should I Do If My Bike Sustained Property Damage Following an Motorcycle Accident?

First, you should obtain an estimate of the property damages. Generally, the property damage estimate is based on the cost of parts and the amount of time it takes to repair or replace parts based on the labor rate the motorcycle repair shop charges. It is important to remember, if your motorcycle has aftermarket parts and we damaged, as a result of the accident, the estimate may not reflect the necessary replacement cost.

Motorcycle Accident Comprehensive Coverage

Motorcycle accident somprehensive coverage generally covers damages caused by:

  • Fire
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Adverse weather conditions
  • Falling objects
  • Hitting or being hit by an animal

Motorcycle Custom Parts and Equipment (CPE) Coverage

CPE coverage covers damage to custom motorcycle parts and motorcycle accessories. It is possible that your motorcycle insurance includes comprehensive insurance policy which may include some CPE coverage―usually at least $1,000 in most states.

What if My Motorcycle is Deemed a Total Loss?

Sometimes, the cost of repairs to the motorcycle is beyond a certain percentage of its appraised value or damage to the motorcycle is beyond repair. Thus, the insurance property damage adjuster will determine the value of your motorcycle. If you are unhappy or disagree with the appraised amount, you can do your own research on similar make and models and provide it to the insurance company in order to help establish the “fair market value” of your damaged bike.

What if I Have a Vintage Motorcycle?

If you were involved in an an accident with a motorcycle that is considered a “vintage model”, you may want to consider getting the vintage motorcycle appraised by a specialist.

Can I Claim Loss of Use for a Motorcycle Accident?

If you were involved in an motorcycle accident in Los Angeles, San Bernandino, or Orange County, you may also be entitled to compensation for the loss of use of your motorcycle throughout the repair or replacement process. This compensation can be in the form of cash or reimbursement for the cost of a rental vehicle.


Please call 310-933-5171 and speak to an experienced Los Angeles motorcycle accident attorney for free on our 24/7 accident hotline. Our attorneys speak English, French, Spanish, Russian, Armenian, and Italian.

KAASS LAW is authorized to practice law in California. The above content is intended for California residents only. This content provides only general information which may or may not reflect current legal developments. KAASS LAW expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any of the contents of this website. The above content DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. KAASS LAW does not represent you unless you have expressly retained KAASS LAW in person at the KAASS LAW office.

KAASS LAW helps clients in: Los Angeles, Burbank, Hollywood, Glendale, Van Nuys, North Hollywood, Studio City, Highland Park, Eagle Rock, Sunland, Tujunga, Sylmar, San Bernardino, La Crescenta, La Canada, Beverly Hills, Westwood, Santa Monica, Brentwood. Pacoima, Montebello, Commerce, Alhambra, Downey, Bell, Maywood, Walnut Park, Vernon, Lynwood, Echo Park, Silverlake, Mission Hills, Northridge, Woodland Hills, Encino, Canoga Park, North Hills, Porter Ranch, Chatsworth, Reseda.