Tragically, the fun and relaxation of a day at the beach can turn into a nightmare when someone has an accident at the beach and dies unexpectedly. When your loss is the result of someone else’s carelessness or irresponsibility, it becomes much more distressing. Surviving family members can file a wrongful death lawsuit against those who are responsible. Of course, no amount of money can ever compensate for your loss, but pursuing those liable can help offer closure. It can also bring much-needed financial respite during this trying period.
Definition of Wrongful Death
Wrongful death is when someone’s negligent, reckless, or malicious actions which was the cause of death. Spouses, children, or parents can file a lawsuit for wrongful death in California. The lawsuit will help to get justice and compensation for any damages.
Accident at the Beach and Wrongful Death
Beaches are popular destinations for recreation and relaxation. However, they can also be dangerous places where accidents can occur, leading to wrongful death. Some of the most common beach accidents that can result in wrongful death include:
- Drowning. Drowning is one of the most common causes of wrongful death at the beach. This can occur when someone gets caught in a rip current or does not have the proper swimming skills for the conditions.
- Shark Attacks. Although rare, shark attacks can result in serious injury or death. This is especially true when lifeguards and beach managers fail to warn visitors of the presence of sharks in the water or do not have proper safety protocols in place.
- Boating Accidents. Boating accidents, including collisions and capsizing, can also result in wrongful death. The owner of the boat and other responsible parties may be liable if they fail to take reasonable measures to prevent the accident.
- Slip and Fall Accidents. Slip and fall accidents can occur at the beach due to wet or slippery surfaces, such as on the sand or near the water’s edge. The owner of the beach or other responsible parties may be liable if they fail to maintain safe conditions.
In cases of beach accidents resulting in wrongful death, it may be possible to seek compensation through a lawsuit if the responsible party acted negligently or recklessly. An experienced wrongful death attorney can help surviving family members understand their rights and options for seeking compensation.
Compensation for Damages for Accident at the Beach
A wrongful death lawsuit can seek compensation for a wide range of damages, including:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of companionship and love
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages (in cases of intentional misconduct or gross negligence)
How to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
To file a wrongful death lawsuit you must be a close relative, such as a spouse, child, or parent of a deceased. The statute of limitations for wrongful death cases is only two years, if you don’t file a claim within two years of the person’s death, you will not get the compensation.
Contact Attorney Today
It is sad to lose a loved one unexpectedly when enjoying the beach. Therefore, it can be difficult to know where to start. Our team is here to guide you and help you get the compensation you deserve. To secure your rights contact an attorney right away. For a consultation, call us at 310-933-5171 or visit our website for other practices.